Our clients engage The Schmidt Investment Group first and foremost for our expertise and results in investment and portfolio management. While investment and portfolio management is an important aspect to the overall wealth plan, it is only one aspect of managing the wealth of our clients. Before moving forward with portfolio construction we ensure that all elements of a family wealth plan have been considered and are working in coordination with each other.
Some examples of this are:
- Your Will should consider the designation of the beneficiaries named on your RRSP/RRIF accounts given the tax is required to be paid from your non-RRSP/RRIF assets. Therefore, if you name a RRSP/RRIF beneficiary, all too often and unknowingly, Canadians place the burden of that tax on someone else in the estate.
- If you have any of the following: a Will, matrimonial agreement, business shareholder agreement and/or buy-sell corporate insurance policies it is absolutely critical that these documents are coordinated together. Even though each document may be a well written legal document on their own, if they are not in alignment with each other one document can conflict with the intentions of the other. This can result in onerous legal expenses, delays and relational discord amongst parties.
Because the needs of our clients reach beyond financial advice and wealth management services, The Schmidt Investment Group has partnered with an extensive group of professionals/firms to provide comprehensive family office solutions. We often, although not required, act as our clients’ single point of contact and will communicate with and coordinate the service of each strategic partner to ensure our clients are receiving the personal attention and quality advice required to meet their objectives.
Our family office approach offers our clients not only the asset growth and protection they expect, it also provides them with access to a holistic range of professionals and services that address their unique life and business needs including:
- Investment Management
- Retirement Planning
- Wills and Estate Planning
- Business Succession and Transition Planning
- Tax Planning
- Insurance Planning
- Cash Management
- Family Communication Strategies
- Coordination of Corporate and Tax Law
- Credit and Banking (Private and Commercial)
- Charitable Gift Planning
- Family Wealth Counseling
- Family Law
- Generational Wealth Transfer Planning
- Reputational Risk Management
- Conflict Resolution Management
- Bill Payment Management
- Family and Corporate Security Consulting
- Heritage Planning and Family Legacy Development
- Labour Dispute Resolutions
- Property Tax Assessment Disputes
- Health and Wellness Support and Coordination
- Family Office Services (Contact our office to learn about our Family Office Services)
For clients with strong, existing relationships with their own professional advisors, we appreciate the opportunity to collaborate and work with them. If a need or a gap is identified over the course of our relationship we would advise on how best to proceed and engage a professional/firm within our network to meet that need.
Given our comprehensive range of services and holistic approach to wealth management, our clients have the confidence and peace of mind knowing that their affairs are always being managed in a proactive, professional and coordinated manner.